Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Engine

The question of motivation has to pop up into our minds from time to time, no matter where our allegiance lies. Whether we claim Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism or if we don't subscribe to any religious belief system at all, the question of why we believe what we believe, why we value what we value has to be addressed.

As a Christian pastor, I claim to follow Christ in His life, death and resurrection, and I make every effort to live that out in word and deed...but what is the prime motivator for why I've chosen to follow Him? If I'm going to live life to the fullest I have to ask that question...otherwise I start to follow Christ with a personal agenda.

And I would pose the same question to anyone who cares to read this. Why do you believe what you believe? What pushes that? What is the driving force, the engine that fuels your faith?

When our beliefs are marked with an agenda, it changes things doesn't it? When we believe just because it's convenient for us, or just because our parents believe it, or because we're just ticked off and angry at something or someone is that a worthy engine to fuel our faith? Will that last?

For the record, let me clarify that this isn't a sermon. This is merely me typing out loud. Whoever cares to read this, I'd encourage you to entertain this question in your mind: what do I really have faith in? (Because we ALL have faith in something) and what fuels that faith? What motivates that belief?

Take a few minutes to ponder these questions. I'd love to get some feedback.

Grace & Peace,
Mike

6 comments:

  1. Firstly, I'm glad you're blogging again. I'm looking forward to reading it :-)

    Secondly, these questions really made me stop and think. As you may or may not know, I now practice Judaism. In it, I have a found a spiritual home. And the truly awesome thing about it is that I still believe in Yeshua - I'm part of the Messianic Jewish movement (not to be confused with Jews for Jesus).

    I was able to take the traditions that speak to me deep down and still keep my faith in Yeshua as Messiah.

    The transition is definitely rough sometimes. These two things don't always mix well and it's easy to lean one way or another and miss the whole point of combining it. But I believe in this movement with all my heart. I'm motivated by the truth I can't ignore every time I say the "Shema" either on my own or surrounded by my community.

    (Shema yisrael Adonai elohaynu adonai echad means "Hear, O Israel, The L-rd our G-d is one, the L-ord alone")

    It's a reminder for me to stop and to really "hear" and acknowledge G-d, the only G-d, and helps me to appreciate fully the blessings he has given - the biggest being Yeshua.

    P.S. This is Jennifer - as in Jennifer who went to your junior prom since I'm sure I'm not the only one you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenn! Do you still go by Jenn? That's so exciting, and I'm glad these questions sparked something, as that's the goal. (I feel like I preach enough already! :)) But even more importantly, I'm glad to hear that you've found a home spiritually. I actually have a friend of mine who practices Messianic Judaism, and it's just an incredible thing to see the rich history of those practices and traditions not only acknowledged but lived out in a branch of Judaism that also acknowledges Christ's divinity.

    Also, and take this for what it's worth, but I just want you to know that you've had a pretty big impact in my life. If you didn't drag me to youth group when we were in high school, I probably wouldn't where I am today! So, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often pondered this same question. As I continue to pour over Scripture, I see God's complexity and faithfulness. I lived for so long in the self. I'm still trying to figure out what Christianity is & what doctrine I most sympathize with. Although, I know Christ is much more than doctrine. I believe full heartedly in the saving relationship with Christ, but I'm still on a quest to find out what Christianity means in a personal sense- without loving the worship of God more than God, simply loving Christ in a non boyfriend way. It's a relationship in continual progress & growth. I'm so glad you are blogging. I truly enjoy the questions you ask. It will also help stimulate interesting questions between me and Frank. Thank you so much for all your help at the wedding! I'm so blessed to have such a close friend like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please excuse my horrendous grammar. Not enough blood to head I guess...frank just raised my foot to help. He's kind like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, it was a joy, honor and privilege to be a part of yours and Franks wedding. And I trust the two of you are enjoying married life! No worries on the grammar. It's all good. :)

    Also, I think given your life experience and coming to Christ more on your own volition instead of being raised in a Christian home, it's makes sense to ask those types of questions. Actually, it makes sense for anyone to on that note. I think everyone who has made the decision to follow Christ always should ask the question of "yes, I've acknowledged Jesus as my savior, but am I going to let Him be Lord over my life today?" But you're totally right. Doctrine can't be the defining mark of a Christian...but when doctrine helps give us a frame work for who God is and how we effectively worship Him, then it's got something to it!

    I'm glad that you enjoy the questions. It's my goal for them to stimulate discussion, so yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just realized I never responded to your response, for some reason I thought I had..

    Yes, I still go by Jenn. I've ben trying to transition to Jennifer a bit more for professional career purposes, but all my friends still call me Jenn :-)

    I'm glad I had a positive impact on you. Looking back at most of my high school and college interaction with the opposite sex, I worry that I played a negative part in most of their lives. It's nice to hear that I wasn't as bad as I remember.

    ReplyDelete